GET TO KNOW EDWIN
Edwin is in the firm’s Dispute Resolution team and Family Law practice team. His practice areas encompass a broad range of matters, including civil and commercial litigation, disciplinary proceedings, shareholders disputes, employment matters, and defamation. He also regularly advises clients on wills and probate, lasting power of attorney, application under the Mental Capacity Act and contentious probate.
He has been involved in matters at all levels of the Singapore Courts (including the Court of Appeal) and has acted as lead counsel in matters before the High Court of Singapore and disciplinary tribunals (as prosecuting counsel).
NOTABLE CASES AND REPORTED JUDGEMENT
- Then Khek Khoon and another v Arjun Permanand Samtani and another  2 SLR 451: Application to restrain a law firm from acting for the counterparty.
- Wong Swee Hor v Tan Jip Seng and others  1 SLR 929: For a declaration that one is a lawful wife pursuant to section 181 of the Women’s Charter.
- Jiangsu Overseas Group Co Ltd v Concord Energy Pte Ltd and another matter  4 SLR 1336: Applications to set aside arbitral awards issued by SIAC.
- Ong Bee Dee (executor of the estate of Ong Tuan Seng, deceased) v Ong Bee Chew and others  3 SLR 579: Successfully acted for clients in defending a claim involving allegations of misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duties, breach of trust, constructive trust, resulting trust, common intention constructive trust, non-est factum, undue influence, conspiracy by unlawful means, and minority oppression under Section 216 of the Companies Act. The High Court’s decision was subsequently upheld by the Court of Appeal.
- Acted for an Indonesian businessman in a complex dispute with Asia’s leading oil and gas logistics company in multiple Suits involving 9 sets of solicitors.
- Acted for a client to resist an application for stay of winding-up proceedings pending the determination of an alleged cross-claim.
- Acting for a Hong Kong company in various Court proceedings (including applications for injunction and stay of Court proceedings in favour of arbitration) and arbitration proceedings against subsidiaries of a Singapore listed company.