GET TO KNOW DAPHNE
Daphne is a Senior Associate in the firm’s Dispute Resolution team. Her main area of focus is in contentious work, and her past experience in this area encompasses civil, corporate, and commercial disputes across the construction, investment, telecommunication, food and beverage, real estate, and entertainment sectors. The contentious matters with which she has assisted over the years include claims before the State and High Courts of Singapore and international arbitrations involving claims for breach of contract, breach of warranties under the Sale of Goods Act, misrepresentation, fraud, and conspiracy; and adjudications under the SOP Act.
Most recently, she successfully represented the plaintiff in a claim for fraudulent misrepresentation and negligent misstatement in the alternative. The High Court found for the plaintiff in the main claim and in the alternative claim completely, and awarded the full amount claimed by the plaintiff. The case is reported as Lim Bee Lan v Lee Juan Loong & Anor  SGHC 234 and serves as precedent that directors of companies owe a duty of care to describe their companies accurately when courting investments from unsophisticated persons.
Other notable cases include:
- Acting for a client in an international arbitration involving the international sale of goods with a total quantum in dispute of over US$22 million
- Acting for a client in a domestic arbitration involving the vitiation of a contract with a total quantum in dispute of approximately S$8 million
- Acting for clients in a claim involving numerous allegations of dishonesty with a total quantum of dispute of over S$ 130 million
Apart from this, Daphne has substantial experience in cross-border corporate and commercial matters involving clients, fellow professionals, and counterparties from China, the United States, Europe, and Indonesia. Her experience over the years includes assisting in:
- Advising various Singapore and Chinese investors in relation to their joint ventures into Indonesia. Sectors include hospitality, food and beverage, and metal manufacturing, with the largest single transaction having an investment value of over US$1 billion
- Advising an S&P 500 company in the renewal of commercial leases in Singapore and on the importation of regulated items into Singapore
- Advising various Singapore companies on internal investigations of suspected fraud and malfeasance in their Indonesian subsidiaries
Daphne graduated with an LLB from the University of Tasmania in 2010, and an LLM (with multiple first class honours) from the University of Melbourne in 2014. She is admitted to practise in Singapore and Australia. She is a member of the Finance, Investments, and Taxation group of the Faculty of Law’s Centre for Corporate and Commercial Regulatory Studies. She also served as a member of the Civil Practice Committee in 2021.
Hailing from Sarawak, East Malaysia, Daphne is natively proficient in English and Bahasa and conversant in Mandarin.