Private equity can be a viable source of financing for companies that do not wish to increase their leverage. While the introduction of private equity can help take a company to the next level of its development, the competing interests involved can derail the very growth that such transactions are intended to accelerate if they are not properly managed.
With years of experience overseeing private equity transactions (acting for both private equity investors and companies seeking to raise funds), our lawyers have an acute sense of the interests of both sides and are adept at managing investor relations. This ability to put themselves in the shoes of each party enables our lawyers to identify overlapping interests and pre-empt potential areas of conflict on issues such as the management of the company and the degree of investor protection.
Rankings Received From Professional and Commercial Publications In 2020
CNPLaw LLP acted as lead counsel for the successful launch of Maiora Renewables Fund II, a Cayman Islands domiciled private equity fund with a focus on alternative renewable energy projects predominantly in the Asia Pacific region, in particular, solar power plants in Taiwan.
Click on the bullet points to find out more
- CNPLaw LLP advised a Singapore online e-commerce platform operator on its series B fundraising
- CNPLaw LLP advised a Singapore graphic design company on additional financing of over S$70 million
- CNPLaw acted for one of Japan’s leading fresh produce distributors in its investment of over S$30 million in a Singapore company
- CNPLaw acted for a Hong Kong listed pharmaceutical company in its investment of S$2 million in a Singapore biotechnology company
- CNPLaw acted for a Singapore biotechnology company in its series B funding of S$15 million from US and Japanese venture capital firms
- CNPLaw advised Symphony International Holdings Limited on its investment into Smarten Spaces Pte. Ltd.
- CNPLaw advised CBMM Supply Services and Solutions Pte. Ltd. on its seed fundraising
- CNPLaw advises Symphony International Holdings Limited on its acquisition of equity stake in Indo Trans Logistics Corporation
- CNPLaw advised a Singapore online e-commerce platform operator on its series A fundraising
- CNPLaw LLP advised a Hong Kong listed gaming company on the purchase of convertible notes in a Singapore cloud-based solutions company
- CNPLaw acted as lead counsel for the successful launch of Tribay Capital Private Equity Asia LP
- CNPLaw acts as counsel for the successful closing of Wavemaker Pacific 1 Pte. Ltd.
- CNPLaw advised Easy Touch Pte Ltd on series-A funding from venture capitalists
- CNPLaw advised a Hong Kong listed gaming company on the purchase of convertible notes in a Singapore cloud-based solutions company
- CNPLaw advised Marna Capital in an equity investment into Crème Simon
- CNPLaw acted as counsel to Hera Capital and DSG Consumer Partners for their investment in SaladStop!
- CNPLaw advised Malaysian government-linked private equity firm on proposed divestment of investment in F&B franchise in Singapore
- CNPLaw advised a private equity investor on its acquisition of childcare service providers
- CNPLaw acted for transcosmos inc. on the acquisition of the voting share capital of Anchanto Pte. Ltd
- CNPLaw advised Tembusu Partners on its mezzanine investment into Barghest Building Performance
- CNPLaw advised local producer on equity investment and co-production agreement
- CNPLaw advised GuardTime on restructuring its group under a Singapore holding company and raising equity of US$8 million to help fund its global infrastructure
CNPupdates – publications written by our Private Equity Lawyers
The Private Equity Team
As a managing partner, Lisa sees a need to ensure that our clients see us as their business partner and not a just legal service provider. Our aim is to provide innovative legal solutions for our clients across Asia with a high level of service and support that will help our clients better manage and succeed in their own businesses. Previously, Lisa with Kenn and Pei Ling, acted for leading Singapore private equity firm, Tembusu Partners Pte Ltd in its multi-million dollar mezzanine investment into Barghest Building Performance.
Pradeep acts for corporations, whether they are private or listed companies, on all aspects of their business including advice and drafting of documentation on investments, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions and restructurings. For 2020, Pradeep is rated as “Highly Regarded” by IFLR1000 and is “Recommended” by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Ken heads the Corporate advisory team in the firm and has an international focus in his corporate and M&A work and worked in business development positions with various subsidiaries of the Hang Lung Group in Shanghai and with Informa plc in Singapore. Ken previously acted as Singapore counsel to a local online e-commerce platform operator with regional presence on its series A fundraising involving equity injections exceeding SG$6 million by global investors. For 2020, Ken is rated as a “Notable Practitoner” by IFLR1000 and is “Recommended” for the Corporate and M&A practice by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Bill is an English lawyer who is also registered to practise Singapore law in the areas of corporate law, banking and finance and securities laws. Bill previously acted as counsel to Hera Capital (“Hera“) and DSG Consumer Partners (“DSG“) in their S$5million investment into home-grown store chain SaladStop!. For 2020, Bill is rated as “Highly Regarded” by IFLR1000, ranked as a “Distinguished Practitioner” by Asialaw Leading Lawyers, and is “Recommended” for the Corporate and M&A practice by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Amit’s practice focuses on corporate law, investment funds, mergers and acquisitions and regulatory and compliance matters. He has over 15 years’ experience in these areas of law. Amit’s expertise has been recognised in Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2020 as “Recommended Lawyer for Corporate and M&A as well as Investment Funds”. In December 2016, Amit was named by Singapore Business Review as one of the 70 most influential lawyers in Singapore under the age of 40.
Pei-Ling has over 23 years of legal experience and has advised clients with Malaysian and Singaporean interests on their cross-border transactions, joint ventures, investments, commercial and technology agreements. Previously, Pei Ling with Lisa and Kenn acted for leading Singapore private equity firm, Tembusu Partners Pte Ltd in its multi-million dollar mezzanine investment into Barghest Building Performance.
Kenn’s practice covers a wide range of corporate and commercial transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, foreign investments and private equity transactions. In 2018, Kenn was recognised as one of Singapore’s Most Influential Lawyers Aged 40 and Under by Singapore Business Review. Previously, Kenn with Lisa and Pei-Ling acted for leading Singapore private equity firm, Tembusu Partners Pte Ltd in its multi-million dollar mezzanine investment into Barghest Building Performance.
In addition to Li Fei’s experience in acting for banks on varied transactions and in general corporate law, he also helps individuals in estate planning, including the legal aspects of wealth management, advising on and setting up trusts and off-shore structures to secure their future and the future of their families. Li Fe is also “Recommended” by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020.
Ravi has 32 years of legal experience. He specialises in corporate advisory and provides legal advice to directors and CEOs on laws and rules relating to directors’ duties and corporate governance. He has a wealth of experience in advising local and regional companies on investment agreements, joint ventures, and corporate structures.
Hazel main areas of practice include cross-border M&A, joint ventures, private equity and general corporate advisory. Hazel has advised various companies ranging from tech start-ups to blue-chip MNCs. She is recognised as a “Notable Practitioner” by IFLR1000 for 2019 and 2020. Previously, Hazel with Ken Chia acted as Singapore counsel to a local online e-commerce platform operator with regional presence on its series A fundraising involving equity injections exceeding SG$6 million by global investors.
Jennifer’s main areas of practice are corporate finance, debt and equity capital markets and general corporate advisory. Jennifer also has experience in a wide range of corporate and commercial matters and has advised companies on licensing and regulatory issues across various industries.
Lorraine is experienced in advising clients, comprising start-ups and SMEs to multinational firms, on general corporate legal matters, including compliance with applicable laws. She has reviewed a variety of commercial contracts such as distributorship and service agreements and terms and conditions and has broad experience in joint ventures and mergers & acquisitions transactions in various industries. Previously, Lorraine advised a Malaysian government-linked private equity firm on the proposed divestment of its investment in the F&B franchise in Singapore.
Joy is an associate in the Funds and Financial Services team. Her main areas of practice include investment funds, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate law. She assists in the establishment of hedge funds, private equity funds and drafting of the related documentation and also assists in corporate transactions such as cross border M&A and joint ventures in various industries.
Sylvia is an associate in the Corporate Advisory Practice Group. She graduated from the Singapore Management University in 2016 and was called to the Singapore Bar in 2017. Prior to joining the firm, Sylvia practised in the areas of civil and commercial litigation and has acted for clients from different industries.
Susannah has gained significant experience in broad ranging corporate, commercial and property law matters in both private practice and in-house environments. Find out more about Susannah and the private equity deals she was involved in, one in particular – CNPLaw acted as Singapore counsel to a local online e-commerce platform operator with regional presence on its series A fundraising involving equity injections exceeding SGD 6 million.