When dealing with matrimonial and family issues, our dispute resolution lawyers are well trained in the particular skillset and distinct sensitivity required in helping clients deal with the choices and possibilities faced. Our team of lawyers is experienced in the law and practice, including dealing with financial implications, and procedures following a separation or divorce. We are attentive to the sensitivities of family relationships and are able to provide clear guidance and advice to protect our client’s interests through court proceedings where necessary.
- Advice on grounds of divorce
- Advice on the ancillary matters including division of matrimonial assets, custody, care and control, access to children, maintenance of children or spouse
Annulment of marriage
- Advice on the available grounds to seek an annulment
- We provide advice on the options available to you in terms of finances, maintenance, housing and the division of assets in contemplation of separation and/or a divorce
- Obtaining orders for maintenance for spouse and children who have not been adequately provided for
- Advice on the options available in respect of custody, care and control, and access arrangements with a focus on helping our clients to preserve their relationship with their children and to minimize the potential emotional and mental stress on the children
Pre-nuptial and Post-nuptial marital agreements
- Advice and preparation of agreements that record parties’ agreed terms on their financial rights and obligations in the event of a breakdown in relationship
- Advice on the legal ramifications of a breakdown of marriage involving foreigners or expatriates
- Relocation of children
- Stay of divorce proceedings and jurisdiction issues
Alternatives to litigation
- We guide our clients in exploring alternatives to litigation such as pre-filing negotiations and discussions. We also participate in mediation alongside our clients with the goal of resolving issues through the help of a mediator
Rankings Received From Professional and Commercial Publications
CNPLaw LLP acted for a shareholder in a family company dispute on grounds relating to a breach of fiduciary duties, misrepresentation, undue influence and minority oppression.
Click on the bullet points to find out more
- CNPLaw acted for Ong Bee Dee (executor of the estate of Ong Tuan Seng, deceased): a case update
- CNPLaw acted in a highly-contested divorce
- CNPLaw successfully acted for defendant in their defence against claims for breach of fiduciary duties and conspiracy by unlawful means
- CNPLaw represented Wong Swee Hor: Case Update – Wong Swee Hor v Tan Jip Seng and others  SGHC 263
- CNPLaw represented the defendants, a high net worth family in Singapore in a claim by the plaintiff for fraudulent misrepresentation and conspiracy
CNPupdates – publications written by our Matrimonial and Family Disputes Lawyers
- Dementia and the law: common legal issues faced by caregivers of dementia patients
- COVID-19 and its effect on maintenance obligations
- Newly introduced fast-track application for the appointment of Deputies and the making of a Lasting Power of Attorney under the Mental Capacity Act
- Implications arising from “Decoupling” a property
- Legacy: Death – The Inconvenient Truth
- Case Update on TBZ v TCA  SGHCF 18 – Maintenance and Asset Division in Ancillary Proceedings
- Testamentary capacity to do a will
- Getting a Prenuptial Agreement in Singapore
- Does an agreement on the division of assets made in contemplation of separation override the law as set out in the Women’s Charter?
- “Reasonable provision” of maintenance under the Inheritance (Family Provision) Act
The Matrimonial and Family Disputes Team
Edwin’s practice focuses on civil and commercial litigation, disciplinary proceedings, wills and probate, shareholders’ disputes, and employment matters. He has been involved in matters at all levels of the Singapore Courts (including the Court of Appeal), and has acted as lead counsel in matters before the High Court of Singapore and disciplinary tribunals (as prosecuting counsel). Edwin previously acted for a client to obtain a declaration that she is a lawful wife pursuant to section 181 of the Women’s Charter.
Huimin is a Senior Associate with the firm’s Dispute Resolution team and Family Law team. She was called to the Singapore bar in 2012. Her main area of practice is general civil and commercial litigation. She has been involved in various civil trials and hearings before the State Courts, the High Court and the Court of Appeal of Singapore. Find out more about Huimin and read about the CNPupdate articles that she has contributed, showcasing her expertise in this field of practice, one in particular – Amendments to the Mental Capacity Act.
Jovey is a Senior Associate in the Real Estate Practice Group. His main areas of practice lies in Real Estate and Family Law. Jovey had previously acted and advised clients from both the corporate and retail sector. He has also represented most Banks & Financial Institutions in Singapore and the CPF Board. Apart from Real Estate Practice, Jovey has experience in both General Litigation and Divorce.