Companies periodically assess and deliberate ways to improve their financial results, and one way of achieving this may be through a successful corporate restructuring exercise, undertaken pursuant to the applicable laws.
A corporate restructuring exercise may involve the acquisition, disposal, consolidation or amalgamation of assets or shares. Other reasons that may compel a company to restructure may be to prepare the company for a sale, merger or management buyout. In almost all cases, legal and financial reasons will dictate the approach and outcome.
By leveraging on our corporate and insolvency law practices within the firm, we aim to help clients achieve their restructuring objectives by offering strategic advance planning, assessing the possible business outcomes and legal restrictions, and managing the interests of the stakeholders involved, namely the shareholders, creditors, customers, and employees.
Our work includes:
- Restructuring and hiving-off of businesses for strategic reasons
- Advising clients on employment-related issue
- Redomiciliation of overseas companies to Singapore
- Restructuring companies ahead of IPO
- Use of schemes of arrangement and other court processes
- Debt restructurings
- Capital reductions to allow return of value to shareholders or to create distributable reserves
- Acting for companies in financial difficulties and advising their directors
- Privatisations of listed companies
The team works closely with other advisers (and, where relevant, our colleagues who handle court processes) to develop innovative ideas and practical solutions for our clients.
Rankings Received From Professional and Commercial Publications
A client's feedback about Bill Jamieson, provided by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021
"He is thorough, dedicated, inventive and responsive. We feel that he cares for client relationships, and goes out of his way to find solutions."
A client's feedback about Hazel Ho
“Hazel was very knowledgeable and made the handling of our legal matters seamless. She addressed all of our needs and responded to all our questions in a timely fashion. The service provided couldn’t have been more professional and I would highly recommend her.”
A client's feedback about Hazel Ho
“Hazel is one of the most client centric lawyers that I have worked with, whom is able to understand and empathize with clients.”
A client's feedback about Amit Dhume, provided by Asialaw Profiles 2021
“Amit comes across not just as a typical lawyer trying to complete a legal assignment for a billing. He is a counsellor and works to win the customers complete trust and confidence. He hand holds through tough discussions on the most possible outcomes and takes ownership of the same.”
A client's feedback about Ken Chia, provided by Asialaw Profiles 2021
“Professionalism, integrity, perseverance.”
A client's feedback about Subramanian Pillai
“We have had the pleasure of working with Mr Subramanian Pillai for more than 10 years on various matters involving construction defects, breaches of by-laws, recovery of debts and employment related matters. Mr Pillai has always been extremely thorough in his communications and his advice and recommendations are on the mark. Most of all, he is one who does not mince his words with respect to his advice. We are grateful for his years of service and would also like to express our thanks to members of his team.”
A client's feedback about Subramanian Pillai
“Through the many years of our working with Mr Subramanian Pillai and his team from CNPLaw LLP, I am highly impressed by the high service rendered by CNPLaw LLP and the professional and efficient manner in achieving our company’s objectives. I have no hesitation in referring CNPLaw LLP’s services to our business associates.”
A client's feedback about Subramanian Pillai
“I have found Mr. Pillai to be knowledgeable, devoted and has a deep care for his clients.”
SUTL Group of Companies's feedback about Kenn Lim
“I have worked with Kenn on several projects. He is professional and thorough in his work and delivers a high level of service. He is prompt in response, able to grasp our issues and requirements quickly and reliable in executing the engagements comprehensively in a timely manner. It is a pleasure working with him.”
CEO of Edmund Tie & Company, Ong Choon Fah's feedback about Kenn Lim
“We have had the pleasure of working with Kenn, Partner at CNPLaw, for many years. Kenn has a deep understanding of the law and the situation at hand. Mindful of the business implications, he offers sound and practical advice, to ensure that our interests are always protected. With CNPLaw’s diverse practice, Kenn and his colleagues are in the position to advise us on a broad spectrum of issues. We are grateful to have had Kenn with us at every step of the journey, and are confident that even as Edmund Tie & Company expands, we are in good hands.”
Corporate Counsel of Givex Corporation, Esther Barrow's feedback about Kenn Lim
“Our company was looking to open a subsidiary in Singapore and we were therefore in need of a local lawyer with a range of expertise in Singapore law. We found that in Kenn, who expertly guided us through the intricacies of setting up our business, handled the submission of the regulatory filings, and even advised us on employment-related matters as we set-up a team in Singapore. We were impressed by Kenn’s quick responsiveness to our inquiries, the high quality of his legal services, and the range of his knowledge. He was also able to recommend banking and accounting contacts to us as we round out the administrative aspects of establishing our company. We highly recommend Kenn’s services to any foreign or local entrepreneur or company looking to establish a business in Singapore.”
Senior Director of International Sales & Operation at Echologics, Mark Nicol's feedback about Kenn Lim
“Kenn has always been very adept at resolving any legal issues faced by my company in the most practical and efficient manner. His tremendous work ethnic and keen eye for detail make him a great pleasure to work with.”
A client's feedback about Ken Chia provided by IFLR1000, 2018
“Overall pleasant experience working with Ken who understood my needs and ensured that I was adequately protected legally.”
A client's feedback provided by the Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2021
“Attention to detail and coverage of all eventualities.”
A review provided by the Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2021
“CNPLaw LLP has further evolved its practice to include a greater share of cross-border and ASEAN deals, including Indonesia, Myanmar, and Laos. It continues to expand its portfolio of Chinese clients and is building its name in the start-up and venture capital segment. Ken Chia leads the department, which includes experienced and versatile practitioners Bill Jamieson and Amit Dhume.”
Click on the bullet points to find out more
- CNPLaw LLP advised on the restructuring of AirGSM Pte Ltd
- CNPLaw advised a multi-national company on transferring employees within the group to create a regional sales hub in Singapore
- CNPLaw advised a large French consortium on its internal amalgamation and restructuring exercise
- CNPLaw advised a multi-national company on separating the ownership structures of its various businesses in Singapore in preparation for a global sale of one of its businesses
- CNPLaw advised the target company listed on SGX-ST on a proposed takeover by way of a scheme of arrangement
- CNPLaw advised Bilcare Singapore Pte. Limited on its restructuring of US$45.5m of convertible bonds and US$44.5m bonds with warrants to subscribe for shares of Bilcare Limited
- CNPLaw advised a leading hedge fund manager on a proposed debt restructuring of a large cross-border business by means of a Singapore scheme of arrangement
- CNPLaw advised GuardTime on restructuring its group under a Singapore holding company and raising equity of US$8 million to help fund its global infrastructure
- CNPLaw advised the controlling shareholder of Want Want Holdings Ltd. on the US$850 million financing of the delisting offer for the company’s shares
CNPupdates – publications written by our Corporate Restructuring Lawyers
- CNPLaw LLP advises Pison Investments Pte. Ltd. on its invitation to senior unsecured creditors of the Hyflux group to offer their debt to Pison in a reverse Dutch auction
- Corporate Insolvency, Restructuring, and Recovery in the COVID-19 world – Part 2
- Wrongful trading under the Insolvency, Restructuring and Dissolution Act 2018
- Corporate Insolvency, Restructuring, and Recovery in the COVID-19 world – Part 1
- Fortitude Budget to help businesses and individuals adapt and build resilience amid the COVID-19 pandemic
- Interlaw tax webinar – tax policy measures overview
- Structuring your business for survival – developing a sound strategy for post-pandemic growth
- A new economic normal – assessing the immediate and longer-term prospects for Asian economies post COVID-19 with Manu Bhaskaran of Centennial Advisors
- How to use the COVID-19 (Temporary Measures) Act to protect you and your business from an economic downturn
- Solidarity Budget: COVID-19 supplementary relief programmes
- Resilience Budget: COVID-19 supplementary relief programmes
- Unity Budget: COVID-19 relief programmes
- A quick reference guide for companies in financial distress
- Enhancing the existing insolvency legal framework – Ipso facto clauses
- CNPLaw’s partner, Mr Bill Jamieson featured in IFR Asia article on “Singapore changes restructuring law”
- CNPLaw’s partner, Mr Subramanian Pillai featured in article on “MAS seeks further boost to enforcement power with amendments to Securities and Futures Act”
- Retention of title clauses – Decision by the English Court of Appeal in PST Energy 7 Shipping LLC v OW Bunker Malta Ltd
- Corporate Insolvency – Proposed Insolvency Act
Video and Presentation Resources
The Corporate Restructuring Team
Pradeep acts for corporations, whether they are private or listed companies, on all aspects of their business including advice and drafting of documentation on investments, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions and restructurings. For 2020, Pradeep is rated as “Highly Regarded” by IFLR1000 and is ” Recommended” by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Ken heads the Corporate advisory team in the firm and has an international focus in his corporate and M&A work and worked in business development positions with various subsidiaries of the Hang Lung Group in Shanghai and with Informa plc in Singapore. Ken is rated as a “Notable Practitioner” by IFLR1000 for 2019 and 2020, and is “Recommended” for the Corporate and M&A practice by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020.
Amit’s practice focuses on corporate law, investment funds, mergers and acquisitions and regulatory and compliance matters. He has over 15 years’ experience in these areas of law. Amit’s expertise has been recognised in Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2020 as “Recommended Lawyer for Corporate and M&A as well as Investment Funds”. In December 2016, Amit was named by Singapore Business Review as one of the 70 most influential lawyers in Singapore under the age of 40.
Lorraine is experienced in advising clients, comprising start-ups and SMEs to multinational firms, on general corporate legal matters, including compliance with applicable laws. She has reviewed a variety of commercial contracts such as distributorship and service agreements and terms and conditions and has broad experience in joint ventures and mergers & acquisitions transactions in various industries.
Daphne is an associate in the firm’s Dispute Resolution team. Her main area of focus is in contentious work, and her past experience in this area encompasses civil, corporate, and commercial disputes across the construction, investment, telecommunication, food and beverage, real estate, and entertainment sectors. Find out more about Daphne and the CNPupdate articles that she has contributed which showcase her expertise in this field of practice, one in particular – A quick reference guide for companies in financial distress.
Ellie is in the firm’s Corporate Finance team and was admitted to practise as a solicitor in Hong Kong in 2013. she has been involved in various initial public offerings and listings on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited and has advised issuers, sponsors and underwriters.