Every business involves an amalgam of various stakeholders, such as investors, shareholders and directors. Ideally, each of these stakeholders should have a common vision of what is best for the company. However, this is rarely the case when individual interests are factored into the equation.
Stakeholder conflicts (regarding issues such as breaches of fiduciary duties, derivative actions, shareholder oppression, management deadlocks, management compensation, dividend payments and buy-outs) can be a thorny issue and can leave a company crippled if not addressed promptly.
Given the diversity of interests at play, we appreciate that a multi-faceted approach is usually the most cost-efficient method of resolving stakeholder conflicts. Therefore, we provide clients with ready access to an integrated team of lawyers (combining the experience of our corporate, dispute resolution and employment law practices where applicable) who will effectively engage the relevant stakeholders in discussions on how best to resolve their differences amicably.
More often than not, clients are able to avoid costly protracted court proceedings and resolve stakeholder conflicts with discretion and expediency.
Rankings Received From Professional and Commercial Publications
CNPLaw LLP advised a selling shareholder on the divestment of his entire equity interests in a Singapore accounting and corporate services firm.
Click on the bullet points to find out more
- CNPLaw LLP advised on strategic Singapore joint venture in marine shipping industry
- CNPLaw LLP advises Pison Investments Pte. Ltd. on its invitation to senior unsecured creditors of the Hyflux group to offer their debt to Pison in a reverse Dutch auction
- CNPLaw LLP advised a Singapore online e-commerce platform operator on its series B fundraising
- CNPLaw LLP advised a Singapore private real estate fund on its joint venture
- CNPLaw LLP advised on the restructuring of AirGSM Pte Ltd
- CNPLaw advised CBMM Supply Services and Solutions Pte. Ltd. on its seed fundraising
- CNPLaw advises local eyewear distributor in joint venture with key industry player in Indonesia
- CNPLaw advised Kalms on its joint venture with celebrity chef Justin Quek
- CNPLaw advise and act for the land concession owner and main developer of a Specific Economic Zone in Laos
- CNPLaw advised a large French consortium on its internal amalgamation and restructuring exercise
- CNPLaw advised locally grown regional beauty on franchise and distribution agreement
- CNPLaw advised Edmund Tie & Company on joint venture with OrangeTee to form third largest real estate agency in Singapore
- CNPLaw advised RELX Singapore on collaboration with Walt Disney
- CNPLaw advised Easy Touch Pte Ltd on series-A funding from venture capitalists
- CNPLaw advised British and Malayan Trustees Limited in relation to a consent solicitation exercise by Otto Marine Services Pte Ltd
- CNPLaw acted for the management of Edmund Tie & Co
- CNPLaw advised SUTL Marina Development Pte Ltd on joint venture to develop and operate marinas in Puteri Harbour Malaysia
- CNPLaw acted for Alliance Brewery Company Limited, in a Joint Venture to Brew and Sell Heineken Beers in Myanmar
- CNPLaw acted for Reed Exhibitions in its establishment of an Indonesian joint-venture with Panorama Exhibitions
- CNPLaw advised clients on request for proposals for provision of technology software services
- CNPLaw advised clients in the tender of projects for implementation of electronic tax filing system in Malaysia
CNPupdates – publications written by our Corporate Advisory Lawyers
- Public consultation on proposed amendments to the Companies Act
- Lodgement of the Register of Registrable Controllers with ACRA
- Indonesian Investment Updates – A quick introduction to Indonesian Labour Law
- Extension of circuit breaker period and stricter circuit breaker measures
- Establishing a presence in Indonesia – what you need to know
- INDONESIA INVESTMENT UPDATES: A snapshot of the investment laws and regulations of Indonesia, with a particular focus on those applicable to foreign investments in the food and beverage industry
- Amendments to the Companies Act with effect from 31 August 2018
- Business Succession Planning – An Introduction to Buy-Sell Agreements
- Public consultation on the introduction of an inward re-domiciliation regime in Singapore – Companies (Amendment) Bill 2017
- Business Succession Planning (Part 2)
- A further observation on the constitution for a private company limited by shares
- Business Succession Planning (Part 1)
- Changes to the directors’ indemnity provision in the Companies Act and the implications for companies in Singapore
- Investing in Myanmar
- MOF public consultation regarding the new Draft Companies (Amendment) Bill 2013
The Corporate Advisory Team
Pradeep acts for corporations, whether they are private or listed companies, on all aspects of their business including advice and drafting of documentation on investments, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions and restructurings. Fro 2020, Pradeep was rated as a “Highly Regarded” lawyer by IFLR1000 and has been “Recommended” by the Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Ken heads the Corporate advisory team in the firm and has an international focus in his corporate and M&A work and worked in business development positions with various subsidiaries of the Hang Lung Group in Shanghai and with Informa plc in Singapore. He is recognised as a “Notable Practitioner” by IFLR1000 for 2019 and 2020, and is “Recommended” for the Corporate and M&A practice by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific. Ken previously led a team that acted as Singapore counsel to CBMM Supply Services and Solutions Pte. Ltd., on its seed fundraising involving equity injections of USD 1 million by UAE and US institutional investors
Amit’s practice focuses on corporate law, investment funds, mergers and acquisitions and regulatory and compliance matters. He has over 15 years’ experience in these areas of law. Amit’s expertise has been recognised in Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2020 as “Recommended Lawyer for Corporate and M&A as well as Investment Funds”. In December 2016, Amit was named by Singapore Business Review as one of the 70 most influential lawyers in Singapore under the age of 40.
Jimmy’s main areas of practice for non-contentious work are Indonesia related corporate and commercial matters – such as investment into Indonesia, mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures, and franchising & licensing. In addition, he also focuses on Singapore and Hong Kong IPO-related legal due diligence. Find out more about Jimmy and the CNPupdate articles that he has contributed which showcase his expertise in this field of practice, one in particular – Establishing a presence in Indonesia – what you need to know.
Kenn’s practice covers a wide range of corporate and commercial transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, foreign investments and private equity transactions. Kenn was recognised as Singapore’s Most Influential Lawyers age 40 and under by Singapore Business Review in 2018.
Li Fei is “Recommended” by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 for Financial Services Regulator. In addition to Li Fei’s experience in acting for banks on varied transactions and in general corporate law, he also helps individuals in estate planning, including the legal aspects of wealth management, advising on and setting up trusts and off-shore structures to secure their future and the future of their families.
Ravi has 32 years of legal experience. He specialises in corporate advisory and provides legal advice to directors and CEOs on laws and rules relating to directors’ duties and corporate governance. He has a wealth of experience in advising local and regional companies on investment agreements, joint ventures, and corporate structures.
Min-Li’s principal areas of expertise are in corporate and financial services. For 2018 and 2019, she was recognised as Singapore’s Top 100 private practice lawyers by Asia Business Law Journal. For 2020, She is rated as “Highly Regarded”, ranked as a “Distinguished Practitioner” and “Recommended” for Capital Markets by IFLR1000, Asialaw Leading Lawyers and The Legal 500 Asia Pacific respectively. Min-Li is also recognised by The Best Lawyers 2020 for Corporate law and M&A law.
Pei Ling has over 23 years of legal experience and has advised clients with Malaysian and Singaporean interests on their cross-border transactions, joint ventures, investments, commercial and technology agreements. Two notable deals that she was involved in – She advised British and Malayan Trustees Limited, in relation to a consent solicitation exercise by Otto Marine Services Pte Ltd, in connection with the S$70 million 7 % fixed rate notes due in 2016; and advised a large French consortium on its internal amalgamation and restructuring exercise.
Hazel main areas of practice include cross-border M&A, joint ventures, private equity and general corporate advisory. Hazel has advised various companies ranging from tech start-ups to blue-chip MNCs. She is recognised as a “Notable Practitioner” by IFLR1000 for 2019 and 2020. Hazel was also part of Ken’s team that acted as Singapore counsel to CBMM Supply Services and Solutions Pte. Ltd., on its seed fundraising involving equity injections of USD 1 million by UAE and US institutional investors
Xiaomeng’s practice is focused on corporate finance, M&A and general corporate advisory. Before joining CNP, she started practice in a leading corporate law firm in Singapore. She is fluent in the Chinese language and has been involved in cross-border transactions in the PRC (including Hong Kong), Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan and Australia.
Lorraine is experienced in advising clients, comprising start-ups and SMEs to multinational firms, on general corporate legal matters. Lorraine also assists with initial public offering exercises with the Corporate Finance team. Lorraine was also part of Pei-Ling’s team when they advised a large French consortium on its internal amalgamation and restructuring exercise.
Wan Shuen’s main areas of practice include investment funds and mergers and acquisitions. She regularly assists in the formation and operation of private funds in several jurisdictions, including drafting the full range of fund documentation, as well as the provision of related regulatory advice.
Joy’s main areas of practice include investment funds, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate law. She assists in the establishment of hedge funds, private equity funds and drafting of the related documentation and also assists in corporate transactions such as cross border M&A and joint ventures in various industries.
Sylvia is an associate in the Corporate Advisory Practice Group. She graduated from the Singapore Management University in 2016 and was called to the Singapore Bar in 2017. Prior to joining the firm, Sylvia practised in the areas of civil and commercial litigation and has acted for clients from different industries.
Pearlene is an associate in the Corporate Advisory Practice Group. Prior to joining the firm, she practised in a mid-sized firm in the areas of capital markets, mergers & acquisitions, ship finance and corporate advisory. She has acted for clients from different industries ranging from healthcare to agriculture.