Home > Our People > Bill JAMIESON
Bill is an English lawyer who is also registered to practise Singapore law. He assists asset managers, companies, entrepreneurs and financial institutions structure and operate businesses and execute transactions and he advises on regulatory issues. His experience includes 10 years in the City of London and 20 years in Asia, based in Singapore. His areas of expertise include capital markets, debt finance, employment law, investment funds, M&A and regulatory matters. Bill has considerable experience in cross-border corporate and finance transactions in London and in Asia. Prior to joining CNP in June 2004, Bill was a partner in a well-known international law firm.
He is recommended as a key individual in IFLR1000 2014, for Corporate and M&A in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 2014, for Investment Funds in Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 and in Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2013.
Bill is a contact for the firm in Interlaw, a non-exclusive network of high quality corporate, commercial independent law firms located in more than 100 cities worldwide.
- Singapore counsel for the launch of Sanchi Credit Value Fund and Ocean Dial Global Arbitrage Fund, funds focused on global credit markets and arbitrage opportunities, respectively, and managed by Ocean Dial Asset Management Singapore Pte. Ltd.
- Counsel for the launch of River Valley Core Compounding Fund, and Asia focused hedge fund managed by River Valley Asset Management Pte. Ltd. notified as a Restricted Foreign Scheme to the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- Advised the Ocean Dial group on its expansion into Asia and on obtaining the Registered Fund Management Company status from the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- Advised the company and the sponsors on a US$100m refinancing of an acquisition financing by Standard Chartered Bank and UOB.
- Advised the Al Masah group on its expansion into Asia and on obtaining the Registered Fund Management Company status from the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- Acted for Ocean Dial Investment Company Singapore on the acquisition of Ocean Dial Group Limited ("ODGL") from Caledonia Investments Plc. ODGL's FCA authorised subsidiary Ocean Dial Asset Management Limited manages two India focused investment funds.
- Advising a leading hedge fund manager on a proposed debt restructuring of a large cross-border business by means of a Singapore scheme of arrangement.
- Advised Spruson & Ferguson, a leading intellectual property group, in its acquisition of Ella Cheon's interest in their patents joint venture in SE Asia
- Advised the originator on Singapore law aspects of a recent US$500m securitisation programme.
- Advised MacarthurCook Property Securities Fund on its recent rights issue.
- Advised Singapore Mercantile Exchange (SMX) on its assessment of its compliance with initiatives aimed at improving the systemic risk management of markets which came from the Committee on Payment and Settlement Systems and the International Organisation of Securities Commissions.
- Advised asset managers on setting up fund management operations in Singapore as a Registered Fund Management Company and on continuing compliance obligations and customer documentation.
- Advised BOC Aviation on Singapore law aspects of financing 2 Airbus.
- Advising container terminal operator Portek International Limited on the takeover offer by ICTSI Far East Pte. Ltd. and on the competing takeover offer by Mitsui & Co. Ltd. in a transaction valued at over S$200m.
- Advised the management shareholders in i-POP Networks Pte Ltd, an Asia based mobile services provider, on the acquisition of the company for shares in InternetQ, a European provider of mobile marketing and digital entertainment listed on AIM in London.
- Advising a leading Indian asset manager on setting up a mutual funds platform in Singapore.
- Advised a listed asset manager on establishing a private equity fund as a Cayman limited partnership targetted at raising US$250 million.
- Advising Hong Leong Bank on English law as well as the Singapore listing on its issue of US$300,000,000 3.75% Bonds due 2016. The Bonds are the first US dollar senior bond issue by a Malaysian bank.
- Acted for Cal-Comp Electronics (Thailand) Public Company Limited in relation to a takeover offer made for the shares of Avaplas Ltd, in conjunction with delisting from the SGX-ST of the shares of Avaplas Ltd.
- Advised GuardTime, a digital evidence technology business, on restructuring its group under a Singapore holding company and raising equity of US$8 million to help fund its global infrastructure from investors that included Horizons Ventures, a Hong Kong based fund, Ambient Sounds Investments, a fund formed by the founding engineers of Skype, and the investment arm of the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore.
- Advising the target company listed on SGX-ST on a takeover by way a private equity funded management buy-out.
- Acted for Nu Horizons Electronics Corp. ("Nu Horizons") and its Singapore subsidiaries on its US$80m asset-backed loan facility with Wells Fargo and two other banks.
- Acted for Bilcare Singapore Pte. Limited on its restructuring of US$45.5m of convertible bonds and US$44.5m bonds with warrants to subscribe for shares of Bilcare Limited. The transaction also involved an issue of US$54m exchangeable guaranteed bonds of Monument Pte. Limited, which Bilcare Singapore guaranteed.
- Advising the Singapore subsidiary of an Indian listed company on a restructuring of foreign currency convertible bonds by way of a US$90m debt buy-back and securities exchange.
- Acted for the Reed Elsevier Group in two transactions for the sale of various Reed Business Information Asia (RBIA) publications, websites and trademarks.
- Advising The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd. on various credit facilities.
- Advising a global logistics facilities provider in the sale of its interest in a Japanese real estate joint venture structured through a Singapore trust to the other joint venture partner for a consideration in the region of US$1billion.
- In connection with the Allco Commercial REIT, the first Asia Pacific REIT in Singapore, advising Allco Finance Group as sponsor/manager on the establishment of the REIT, the debt funding of various assets on listing and subsequent to listing and the underwriting of the international offering of units. Ranked 9th in Asian-Counsel's Deals of the Year 2006.
- Advising the controlling shareholder of Want Want Holdings Ltd. on the US$850 million financing of the delisting offer for the company’s shares. CFO Asia Deal of the Year 2007.
- Starhill Real Estate Investment Trust, the first international REIT of Malaysian assets, advising the YTL group as sponsor/manager on the establishment of the REIT and the underwriting of the international offering of units.
- Advising the management sellers to a leveraged private equity management buyout of a group of companies engaged in the business of manufacturing technical equipment in china for distribution in the US and elsewhere. The buyout was led by a world leading private equity venture capital firm and involved a transaction value over US$100 million, which was partially funded by one of the largest banks in Asia.
- Advising the target company listed on SGX-ST on a proposed takeover by way of a scheme of arrangement that reached an advanced stage before being aborted due to the credit crunch.
- Advising Kubera Cross-Border Fund (Mauritius), a private equity fund listed on AIM in London, on the acquisition of a significant interest in Venture Infotek, Mauritius which owns India’s leading transaction processing company and on structuring and documenting an investment into a new Singapore holding company for Kejriwal Stationery, an Indian business with exports to the USA.
- Advising a Japanese client on the establishment of a fund management business and private equity fund in Singapore to invest in international food businesses in Asia.
- Advising Ternion Capital Management on an investment from Singapore into Japanese real estate using a bankruptcy remote Tokutei Mokuteki Kaisha (TMK) securitised funding structure.
- Advising Lend Lease on Lend Lease Asian Retail Investment Fund, a private equity fund which raised S$375 million in its first financial close in 2006 with a second close scheduled for 2007.
- Advising a European telecommunications equipment manufacturer on structuring a proposed acquisition of the Asian businesses of a competitor, including leading the legal due diligence team and advising on a scheme of arrangement to acquire the holding company listed on SGX-ST.
- Legal counsel in a consortium advising a government utility in Singapore on a divestment/restructuring to allow private sector participation in a plant.
- Advising a bidder for a BOO concession to supply NEWater to the PUB in Singapore, reviewing the concession agreement prepared in accordance with Singapore's Public Private Partnership guidelines, drafting the bid documents and negotiating the terms of the other project agreements.
- Advising the operator of an Indonesian oil and gas concession in the Kakap block of the West Natuna field supplying gas to Singapore and oil to BP on refinancing the acquisition of its interest in the concession on a limited recourse basis.
- Preparing a report for the Asia Pacific Economic Co-operation (APEC) governments’ energy ministers on best practice in procurement of private power infrastructure.
- International counsel to the Cambodian Minister of Energy and state electricity company under an Asian Development Bank sponsored programme to develop a structure for private power investment, drafted and negotiated the documents for the first independent power project in Cambodia project financed on a limited recourse basis.
- International counsel to the Hyderabad Metropolitan Water Authority in India on the proposed privatisation of the Krishna River water supply, a consultancy sponsored by the Asian Development Bank.
- International counsel to the project financing of YTL Power project, co-ordinating due diligence, structuring, documenting, negotiating and executing the limited recourse financing of the first independent power project in Malaysia.
- English law counsel to CSFB and Deutsche Bank as lead managers of the US$150m 2.5% exchangeable guaranteed bonds due 2006 issued by YTL Power Finance (Cayman) Limited, structured, documented and executed the transaction, the first equity-linked Eurobond issue by a Malaysian company since the Asian financial crisis, including a rule 144A offering in the US.
- English law counsel to listed subsidiaries of the Hong Leong Group in Malaysia, structured and negotiated documents for two convertible Eurobond issues in the mid-90s and structured, negotiated, documented and executed subsequent restructurings of the bonds in 2000, 2001 and 2002.
- Advising Hong Leong Bank Malaysia in connection with its US$200 million 5.24% subordinated bonds due 2015
- Advising United Overseas Bank on an English law refinancing of a repackaged convertible Eurobond for a listed subsidiary of the Hong Leong Group in Malaysia.
- Advising the holding company of Guoco on the US$750 million refinancing of the acquisition of Kuwait Investment Offices's shareholding in Guoco.
- International counsel to PT Citra Marga Nusaphala Persada, an Indonesian toll road company, on 2 US dollar bond issues.
- Advising an international bank on a loan to a Singapore subsidiary of YTL Corp to fund a housing development on Sentosa.
- Advised Goldman Sachs as the international co-ordinator on the privatisation of Singapore Telecommunications.
- Counsel to HSBC as international placing agent on the IPO of Asia Food & Properties Ltd, structured, documented, negotiated and executed the transaction, a US$2 billion introduction on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Counsel to HSBC in 1999 and 2000 on the proposed US$ 1 billion acquisition of Bangkok Metropolitan Bank, from the due diligence and competitive bid stage through to exclusive negotiations with the Bank of Thailand.
- Led team of international and local counsel on the merger of the AXA and Guardian Royal Exchange insurance businesses in Indonesia, Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand.
- Counsel to the owner/managers on the disposal to BNP Paribas of the PrimeEast corporate finance business, negotiated the sale of businesses in Indonesia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore and the joint venture arrangements for the combined business.
- Counsel to GSS ARRAY Technology, a Thai company listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand, negotiated and documented a recommended cash offer for the company by ACT Manufacturing Inc., the first takeover by a foreign company of a Thai listed company, involving an innovative structure for dealing with minority shareholders.
- Led the M&A team for Cathay Pacific Airways on its proposed equity investment in and acquisition of management control of Philippine Airlines, co-ordinated due diligence on the airline and its business and structured terms for the acquisition.
- Headed team of international and local counsel to PSA Corporation (formerly Port of Singapore Authority) through due diligence to completion of the acquisition of a port-owning company in India, the first successful foreign acquisition in the sector.
- Counsel to K.R.Precision, a listed Thai company, negotiated and documented a private equity investment by Prudential Asset Management Asia, and a related debt restructuring. Runner up for IFLR's Asian restructuring deal of 1999.
- Acting for Malaysian Airline System (MAS) on restructuring US$2 billion of finance obligations and domestic passenger operations to a new government-owned holding company, making MAS the first "asset light" carrier in Asia. Airfinance Journal's Asian Corporate Finance Deal of 2002 and runner up for IFLR’s Asian Restructuring Deal of 2002.
- Acting for the Indonesian Bank Restructuring Agency (IBRA) on the Rupiah 34 trillion recapitalization programme for nine private sector banks sponsored by the World Bank and IMF, involving the restructuring of the banks and arrangements for the disposal of the Government of Indonesia’s interest to investors. Runner up in the "Restructuring Deals" category by the IFLR Asian Deals of the Year 1999.
- Counsel to a group of international banks on a successful US$400 million debt restructuring of a Singapore finance house with assets around the region.
- Acting for an international bank client on its credit facilities to Lehman Brothers and repercussions of the deteriorating credit and subsequent insolvency of Lehman Brothers.
- Advising on investment mis-selling claims.
- Represented various companies on negotiating swap and equity derivative transactions and advised on the termination of swap agreements and reviewing collateral arrangements in light of financial crisis.
- Advised on various employment law matters, including clients like MSIG, a leading general insurer.
Renewable Energy in Singapore 2014
Development of corporate rescue mechanisms and the proposed insolvency law in Singapore 2014 - presentation to Malaysian Institute of Accountants
Thomson Reuters European Lawyer Reference Series Investment Funds 2013 - Singapore Chapter
Project finance in Singapore Getting the Deal Through 2013
The Changing Landscape of the Regulatory Regime for Fund Managers in Singapore 2012