Quek Li Fei's areas of specialisation include banking and finance law, corporate finance restructuring, trade finance, consumer finance, acquisitions, joint ventures, Singapore law regulatory and compliance issues, infrastructure and investment work, computer contracts, trusts, private clients' work and general corporate law. His banking experience is wide-ranging and includes all forms of secured and unsecured lending and financing both in Singapore and in cross-border transactions. Mr. Quek has acted for Singapore banks and Singapore branches of foreign banks on various debt and equity issues, including the extension of credit facilities to foreign borrowers in Indochina, the PRC, Korea, ASEAN, the Bahamas, Panama and the United Kingdom. Mr. Quek is also actively involved in corporate and loan restructuring involving Indonesian, Thai and Singaporean corporations. His other cross-border transaction experience includes ship mortgage financing, debentures, syndicated loans and sub-participation, FRNS and CDs, receivables financing, factoring, hire-purchase, equipment leasing and bills of sale. He has also advised banks on and drafted standard form banker/customer documentation and agreements relating to various types of accounts, facilities and securities. He has negotiated, finalised and drafted contracts for joining the EFTPOS (electronic funds transfer at point of sale) system and the ATM (automated teller machine) network in Singapore.
In addition, Li Fei has experience in advising on a wide range of infrastructure and investment projects in Malaysia, Indonesia, Indochina, Myanmar, the People’s Republic of China and India. These projects include power plants, water-supply facilities and construction and telecommunication projects for governments and government-linked entities, multi-nationals, local developers, construction consortiums and lenders.
A member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, Li Fei has been consulted on various aspects of trust law by trustee corporations and is also actively involved in advising on and setting up trusts and off-shore structures for private clients.
Li Fei has an extensive client base which includes banks, leasing companies, factors, finance companies, statutory bodies, insurance corporations, MNCs, government-linked agencies, public and private companies.
Li Fei has been named an AsiaLaw Leading Lawyer for seven consecutive years from 2003 to 2009 and in the 2009 Directory he was highly recommended as Asia-Pacific-focused lawyers in Banking and General Corporate Practice. He has also been recognised by the Asia Pacific Legal 500 as 'a meticulous lawyer' and 'very knowledgeable in banking and finance matters' in the 2008 Directory. Li Fei was nominated for inclusion in the Asia Citywealth Leaders List in May 2009 & was put forward to be shortlisted to receive the highly coveted Citywealth Magic Circle Awards. Li Fei is also included in the 2013 edition of the Citywealth Leaders List.
- Acted as Singapore legal counsel for The Industrial & Commercial Bank of China, drafting and advising on the bank’s standard loan and security documentation for their banking business in Singapore.
- Involved in the incorporation of Standard Merchant Bank (Asia) Ltd, drafting its constitutive documents and advising on regulatory and compliance issues under the Banking Act, the then Securities Industry Act and Futures Trading Act (both now repealed and re-enacted as an omnibus Securities and Futures Act) and section 28 of the Monetary Authority of Singapore Act.
- Acted for Bayerische Landesbank Girozentrale/BLB Asia Pacific Ltd in relation to bilateral/syndicated loans.
- Acted for Christiana Bank Og Kreditkasse ASA in ship financing matters.
- Acted for International Factors (Singapore) Ltd in relation to bilateral/syndicated loans.
- Acted for both Mizuho Corporate Bank Ltd and The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi Ltd in a secured lending transaction involving security over land and building and a security-sharing arrangement between both banks.
- Acted as Singapore legal counsel to Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken (South East Asia) Ltd in a US$2.6millon floating rate loan agreement secured by a ship mortgage.
- Acted for Svenska Handelsbanken AB in relation to general advisory work
- Acted for both Svenska Handelsbanken AB and Danske Bank A/S in a secured lending transaction, involving a security-sharing arrangement between both banks.
- Advised various banks in registration procedures and filing inter-bank debt claims with the Indonesian Bank Restructuring Agency (IBRA) or Badan Penyehatan Perbankan Nasional (BPPN).
- Acted in the tender for and proposed acquisition of Tuas Power.
- Acted in relation to privatisation in the electricity and water industries, in relation to the privatisation of the constructions and operation of a water supply project to the Island of Labuan.
- Acted for Ipco Constructors Sdn Bhd and United Engineers in relation to various power projects in India and Pakistan.
- Acted in relation to privatisation in the electricity and water industries in East Malaysia, including acting as Singapore special counsel for Labuan Water Supply Sdn Bhd and one of its shareholders, Ipco Constructors Sdn Bhd, in relation to the privatisation of the construction and operation of a water supply project to the Island of Labuan.
- "Represented QAF Limited in its acquisition of a majority (51%) equity stake in Shaanxi Hengxing Fruit Juice Co., Ltd., one of the largest apple juice production companies in the PRC, for RMB 63.75 million (approximately S$13 million).
- Acted for Van der Horst Limited in various power and infrastructure projects undertaken in various jurisdictions, including power projects in Gujarat, India, and power projects in Pakistan.
- Acted in power projects in Gujarat.
- Acted in power projects in Pakistan.
- Acted as the Singaporean legal counsel to the Singapore and Hong Kong subsidiaries of a household name multi-national, in connection with a Multi Currency Revolving Credit Facility Agreement dated 24 August 2005 for grant of facilities of US$325,000,000 arranged by Citigroup Global Markets Singapore Pte. Ltd. and Standard Chartered Bank on behalf of 17 Lenders.
- Acted for Japanese consortium of banks in preparing statutory mortgages on four vessels (value of financing JPY26,456,000,000.
- Acted for Japanese bank in the financing and registration of a first statutory mortgage on a Singapore flagged vessel (value of financing: US$7 million).
- Acted as Singapore Counsel for the Borrower in respect of banking facilities granted by HSBC Bank.
- Acted for Singapore subsidiary of an Australian listed company in the divestment of shares and management buyout of two PRC entities and subsequent preparation of supplemental deeds and supplemental agreements to amend a shareholders agreement, supplemental loan agreement and a PRC law contract of guarantee respectively
- Acted for the purchaser in Singapore finance aspects of a buy-out of a global telecommunications company including reviewing the Singapore Debenture dated, reviewing drafts of the Amended and Restated Facilities Agreement, the Accession Deed and Amendment and Restatement Agreement
- Advised a major manufacturer and supplier of medical equipment on renewal of Distributorship Agreements in India and subsequent termination of the Distributor Agreement.
- Acted for Singapore subsidiaries of an Australian listed company in the Unwinding of S$150 million structured financing from DBS Bank Ltd. and capital reduction of the Singapore subsidiaries.
- Advised the Singaproe branch of a Swiss Bank on its securites lending documentation.
- Acted for Singapore subsidiary of an Australian listed company on its ISDA Master Agreement with Standard Chartered Bank.
- Advised and issued legal opinions to various foreign banks in respect of credit facilities guaranteed by Singaporean nationals and entities.
- Advised a major manufacturer and supplier of photographic equipment in the transfer of business assets between it Singapore subsidiaries in a global restructuring exercise.
- Advised a multi national corporation on Singapore termination of distribution agreements to follow a take over of business of a competitor.
- Acted as Singapore legal advisors for Bonia Corporation Berhad in its acquisition of a majority stake in Jeco (Pte) Ltd, a company incorporated in Singapore owning and/or licensee of several trademarks and franchises for countries in the East Asia region, including Braun Buffel trademark, Pierre Cardin, and Renoma trade marks, and Bruno Magli franchise, reviewing and advising on Share Sale Agreement, Shareholders' Agreement, and conducing legal due diligence including extensive IP rights due diligence.
- Advised Singapore bank in review of its standard documentation for export financing.
- Acted for Singapore company in preparation of Share Purchase Agreements for shares in two companies and advised on proprietary rights over an invented composting machine subject of PCT and Australian patent applications and joint venture companies to be set up by GreenBack Pte Ltd in China, India, and Indonesia.
- Advised a Singapore citizen in the sale and purchase of his shares in a Mongolian joint venture company.
- Advised a Singapore partnership on its tenancy agreements in an Orchard road area shophouse and a new lease in Marina Bay.
- Acted for a venture capital company in its S$10 million trade financing convertible loan secured by deed of debenture with collateral management agreements over coal and tin
- Acted for a venture capital company in its S$3,000,000.00 Redeemable Preference Shares Investment in a Singapore entity.
- Acted for a Singapore listed company in its investment in coal barges in Indonesia.
- Advised private individuals and trust companies and other professionals on and actively involved in various estate planning projects including family trusts, wills and probate and complex estate duty cases.